I’m using this post as a reflection journal. A way to put my thoughts on paper, reflect on 2017, and set goals for next year.. By goals I mean all kinds of them; personal, blog-related, couple/marriage, fitness, monetary, and etc.
In order to look forward I think it’s only fitting to reflect on the past. 2017 has taught me so much. I started this past year off lost. I had just graduated, moved back to Kentucky, was preparing for Miss Ky, and overwhelmed with ideas for my future. I wasn’t for sure if I wanted to purse a career in biomedical engineering… C & I hadn’t narrowed down a wedding date.. I wasn’t sure where I would be living.. Do I continue my blog? Should I search for a BME job? Is moving to Lexington with C the right choice? When’s the best time for us to get married? Are we buying a house in Paducah and settling down there? Honestly, there were so many questions I didn’t even really know where to begin. I was so overwhelmed with the thought of the future because so many of the answers I was looking for were out of my control.
If I am being honest with you all this was probably one of the toughest years of my life. Y’all are probably asking, why? how? no way.. Well you probably would’ve never known. Behind all the pics, videos, posts, snaps, and writing, there was also a lot of struggle. I’m not telling you all this to air my dirty laundry, but more so to tell you that there’s been a lot of ups and downs. However, through them all I’ve discovered so much about myself.
- I’m an impatient person. When I get my mind set on something I go for it and run forward with full force. This year (with the help of C) I’ve learned all good things come in time.. It’s Gods timing that matters, not mine.
- The material things aren’t what matter. Yeah they bring instant gratification but that’s the farthest thing from happiness in this world. I always tell C, “I don’t get in bed with material things.” At the end of the day, it’s him, Oslo, and I.. that’s what really matters.
- Worrying about how I looked, my skin, my weight, etc. didn’t really get me anywhere. Worrying only made things worse. As a blogger, constantly in front of the camera, criticism is bound to come. I told myself if I didn’t learn how to control it, I was going to go off the deep end. And the motto I found myself living by, “we’re our worst critiques”. The scripture I turned to, “Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as elaborate hairstyles and the wearing of gold jewelry or fine clothes. Rather, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God’s sight” 1 Peter 3:3-4
- Pray to God.. always… I found myself only talking to him when things went wrong. That’s not how it’s supposed to be. I need him through the good and the bad.
- There will be good days and bad days on BeYOUtiful Blog. Some posts are better than others.. some gain more attention, some aren’t very popular. As long as I am doing what I love that’s all that really matters!
There’s so many things I’ve learned. Half of which I probably can’t even put into words.. But I’ll try to turn those into goals! Since I’ll be 24 in a month and a half I figured I would think about 12 new things I want to achieve, work on, or grow better at in 2018! Then, halfway through the year I will revisit them and set 12 new ones! I feel like it’s so easy to lose track of what we set out to do. Life get’s crazy and we forget the goals we want to achieve.. This year I want to avoid that… So I’m sharing half my resolutions now and the other half this summer!
- Marry my fiancé! Yep, it’s a goal!!! Probably the most special one! I told C last night, right at midnight, “It’s wedding year!”
- Keep doing what I love! Work hard and continue growing BeYOUtiful Blog.
- Gain more friendships. We’ll be moving this year and I honestly can’t wait! I’m excited for the future and especially meeting new friends. I hope to meet new individuals through the blogging community, my new hometown, wedding planning, and joining a new church.
- Which leads to my next goal.. Join a new church. Since I moved back to Kentucky, I’ve been living in Lexington. I haven’t joined one here because I know I’ll be moving again shortly . Once I’m settled in Paducah one of my major priorities is to join a church that makes me feel at home.
- Pray every day. I feel like this is a reoccurring one, but I really do want to grow closer to God this year.
- Complete a Triathlon (C just got me a bike for Christmas and I am ready to start training!)
- Visit a new place. My heart just loves to travel!!!! Last year we went to India. Can’t wait to see where we go next.
- Make better financial designs (this is always on my list haha)
- Take a break from social media (in my day to day life, at dinner- especially during meals, family time, etc.) I had a hard time unwinding this year and just taking in the moments.. I really want to improve that aspect of my life in 2018.
- Take Oslo for more walks!
- Volunteer. I’ve always had my heart set on the Humane Society…. (I’m definitely going to be doing this one)
- Watch more documentaries and read historical fiction/non-fiction books! I have a passion for learning new things!
Now, it’s time to get started!!!! 2018… here we go!!!!!
Hope you all have a wonderful, magical start to the new year!
As always, thank you for your support and love throughout the years!